Monday, January 28, 2008

Go easy on the clutch...

A couple of challenges this week: repeating the felt dice for a surfer friend, perhaps to adorn his station wagon? I like to imagine them swinging their way down to Bells, heavy metal blaring in the background. I even bought a thimble for the next time anyone wants to pay me a bzillion bucks to make another damn set ;)

My second challenge was inspired by this tute, found through here.

Mum used to have a couple of matching sparkly purses using these metal frames. I like ‘em cos they’re a little bit old fashioned and a little bit elegant. Also, they’re the perfect size to pop in keys, lip gloss and tissues (especially for weddings. I hate that I’m such a sucker at weddings, bah! plenty of tissues for jfox please).

The purse itself is a cinch to sew together, it’s a simple pattern to draw up and I added an inside pocket (for a tram ticket maybe?). It was a bit fiddly getting the fabric into the frame but it wasn’t as hard as keeping the glue from blobbing out onto the purse. Don’t look too closely ;D

Glue issues aside, I’m rather chuffed with the end result.

And how awesome is the burnt orange!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey c,

very impressive.

i do like the burnt orange plus the white trim.

;p

Anonymous said...

i'm with JP, nice fabric tfox! that looks like about the right size to fit at least 5 bandaids in there!

e

jfox said...

thanks for the encouragement guys, and HAPPY BIRTHDAY jp ;)

M? said...

Wow jfox> That looks amazing! It's really pretty but still has a funky edge to it too- love it!

My purse/wallet/change holder zip wrecked over the weekend and I've got it in my mind to make one myself rather than buy one- where do you get those cute/fancy looking metal holders?

Also, am in the market to make a beanbag any ideas I can a cool pattern?

Hope you're well and look forward to catching up soon!!!

Hope you also have a lurvely (extra spesh) Valentine's Day too! :)

jfox said...

thanks m's ;) they're quite easy to make, i definitely encourage you to have a go yourself (what with your access to all that fabric stash!!)

i got the metal frame from clegs; there were a few sizes to choose from. the tute i've linked to is easy to follow too.

mmmm, i've never made a beanbag before...?? might do a bit of research for you...

see you soon miss m's!