Friday, January 27, 2006

outta mind outta sight

My favourite passion is music, it’s been an absolute constant in all its forms and senses.
For the longest time, I have been a fan of the alt-country, no-depression band Wilco. I remember seeing an old videoclip where the band jump out of a small plane….playing their instruments….whilst in freefall! My immediate thought was how much I liked these funny jumpsuit-clad guys singing a song about being Outta Mind, Outta Sight as they hurtle to earth.

I love their bittersweet lyrics wrapped in summery melodies and Jeff Tweedy’s sad voice. And they're not afraid of evolving - their recent albums represent a sonic and lyrical expansion. Bit too much noodling for mine, but kudos to the band for not remaining static. Lately, the ears have had a big bash of ‘Summerteeth’ and ‘Kicking Television: Live in Chicago’ - if only they would tour in the southern hemisphere soon!
.
My lovely sibs presented me with a set of jewellery pliers for Christmas and I have been spending an inordinate amount of time at the bead shop. Although this fanaticism does not quite match the thrills of the Button Bar in Adelaide, I do enjoy looking at all those jars of beads, pretty glass and gorgeous resin-type beads. Who would these suit – too fancy? not fancy enough? And how would I put it together anyway?!
.
So I have been listening to Wilco and creating little projects over the summer. All that practice at the microscope performing dissections has really helped with fiddly wire work!



No comments: